Saturday, June 9, 2012

JUGS140 & Retro Sketches 15 Techniques!!




There have been some awesome challenges this week, and three blogs inspired me. Just Us Girls has an Acrylic Distress technique that I had never heard of.  It sounded like a lot of work, and turned out to be quite easy for a spectacular result. You cut a shape, emboss in a folder, paint it with Acrylic, sand, ink, mist with water and wipe.  It does require a bit of patience while allowing things to dry....not being the most patient sort, I did help things along a bit with my heat embossing gun.  I suggest you go to their site for a link to directions which will be more helpful than mine.
Then while exploring I saw some unusual cards made using a "flower pounding" technique. The artist at Creative Lynks suggested checking out the Cuttlebug site for directions.  Basically, you find fresh flowers from the yard, place them in a folder of paper (watercolor is suggested and that is what I used), and running it through the Cuttlebug in an A/B/C sandwich.  This took more experimentation...I discovered that it was best to use only the flowers pulled away from all stems/pods.  The leaves and stems mostly just made a big, wet, brown mess.  It's a very delicate coloring you get from the flowers, and you can use both sides of the folder.  This image was made using bachelor button, forget-me-nots and some hot pink perennial that has been like a weed in the garden forever.  (I am sure they have a name, but I don't know it.)
Finally, I used the Retro Sketches #15 here to put it all together.  What a fun morning!

4 comments:

  1. Really beautiful card. Thanks for all the hints on your techniques. I'm always looking for something new to try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous take on both techniques and on the sketch. Love the soft, feminine feel of your card. Thanks so much for playing along with us at Just Us Girls!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely job! Thanks so much for playing along with Just Us girls this week.

    ReplyDelete