Sunday, July 26, 2015


CAS(E)this Sketch #133 immediately suggested this technique.  I used masking fluid to coat several sizes of butterflies punched in vellum. When the fluid was dry, I misted the paper and applied color with Holtz Distress inks ( squeezed lemonade, mustard seed, and spiced marmalade).  I dried it with my heat gun, removed the vellum and rubbed off any remaining mask gum. When I was sure it was thoroughly dry, I stamped the sentiment with Versafine Onyx Black. I trimmed the piece and backed it with a piece of foam on a watercolor paper card base.  One of the vellum butterflies had retained a bit of color, and I decided to color in its body and add a black sparkle. 

Linked to CAS(E) This Sketch and Just Add Ink #272: Butterflies.


  1. This is simply stunning, Dena! Thanks for joining in the fun at Just Add Ink this week. :)

  2. Oh wow! What a fab use of mediums Dena, it's such a lovely fresh clean card. Thanks for joining us at Just Add Ink and for reminding me to use my masking fluid more often..:0)

  3. I love the background. Thanks for the instructions as I would love to try this technique. A very cheery card.